With CES 2012 less than a month away, Samsung leads the pack of CES 2012 Innovations Honorees in the Eco-Design and Sustainable Technologies category. With two of the ten awards going to Samsung, we can expect more green innovations in 2012 that will be utilizing their technology across a wider array of consumer electronics. Their two flagship Eco-Design products that will be featured at the upcoming CES in Las Vegas are:
1) Samsung NC215S Solar Notebook: Listed at $399.99 from Samsung’s online store, the world’s first solar PC has the same features as any other comparably priced PC from Samsung or the competition. This product will provide the tipping point that consumers want since most want to buy green technology without paying a premium. If you can see the sun you have power. If needed, the laptop provides a conventional AC adapter.
Other green attributes include:
- Instant On, Instant Off: When you close the lid of a laptop, it instantly goes into sleep mode – saving power; when you open it, full functionality returns within 3 seconds given Samsung’s exclusive Fast Technology.
- Solar-charging USB port: Even when your computer is turned off or in sleep mode, there is a power emitting USB port that allows you to charge cellphones and other devices using solar power from the laptop.
- Epeat Gold Standard: This the highest rating a consumer electronics gadget can achieve. It exceeds standard green criteria by at least 75% and makes it one of the most energy-efficient laptops in the industry.
2) Samsung Transparent LCD Panel: The Samsung Transparent liquid crystal display panel is a glass-like, eco-friendly see-through viewing device with low power consumption, HD picture quality and the ability to operate wirelessly on solar-replenished battery power. The transparent LCD display panel enables a person to look right through it like glass, and it consumes 90% less electricity compared with a conventional back-lit LCD panel. This will surely revolutionize advertising, education and communication through its use in show windows, outdoor billboards, showcase events, corporations and schools.
Given these breakthrough innovations, Samsung has evolved solar charging technology from cellphone chargers (e.g., Solio etc.) to laptops. We can expect other laptop makers to follow in 2012. Other CES Innovation Honorees in the Eco-Design category can be found at the 2012 CES Innovations Awards website.
If you enjoyed reading this, you may also like to read:
- Top 10 Features that Green Smartphones Must Have
- Top 10 Features that Smart Energy Apps Must Have
- Why Samsung can Win with Green (Eco) Products
- Why the World Needs More Nests
© 2011 by Ed Valdez. All rights reserved.
Trademarks and Logos are properties of their respective companies.